Saturday, July 6, 2013

Keeping in Touch


Peel, stick.
Peel, stick.
An Apple A Day
The last time we sent out a pile of postcards, about this time last year, we had to address and stamp 2900 of them. That's a lot of cards. I know there are mailing companies who will do this for us,

Peel, stick.

and one day we will be obliged to use them.

Peel, stick.

I say that because sticking labels and stamps on 2900 postcards takes lots of time, something the Missus says we could use doing other things, and she's right. After a while the job will also give you a pain in the neck.

Peel, stick.
Peel, stick.

But there is something personal about doing this myself, the feeling that it's me communicating with my customers, and not some nameless company with a computer and a jet printer spitting out names from a mailing list.

Peel, stick.
Peel, sticky-stick, unstick, stick.

I just noticed that this year the list has grown to 3600. That means we're doing something right - but it's still a lot of cards. When I'm in the groove, it takes about three seconds to peel a label, stick it on a card, and make room for the next one. Same with the stamps.

Peel, stick.
Peel, stick.

That's 21,600 seconds, if all goes smoothly. 360 Minutes. SIx full hours of stamping. You could do it in a day, if the mistakes didn't start to pile up on you. If your neck would stop bothering you.

Peel, stick.

An hour a day, and it's done in a week. Easy, peasy. Unless you have something else that needs doing. Which we usually do.

Peel, stick.

But there is something personal about doing this myself, the feeling that it's me communicating with my customers. I like that part.

Peel, stick.

We'll see how my attitude changes when we have 4500 addresses on the list.
My New Book

No comments:

Post a Comment